Cadet - East Coast
Company: Harley Marine Services
Posted on: November 22, 2022
Maintain the vessels in a state of readiness to perform work for
customers as needed. Perform work as directed by Captain and/or
Mate of vessel. Job includes pulling and handling heavy lines,
wires, and hoses; working on oil and cargo barges; safely making
and breaking tow with barges; general vessel maintenance; and other
tasks that may be assigned from time to time.The job
responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Deck must be cleaned and free of lines. Make up all tows as
directed by Captain or Mate. Deckhands are to be trained to perform
the following skills in addition to other skills required by the
Captain or Mate.
- Work aboard boats and barges using pike poles, heavy lines,
winches, mechanical tools for repairs, paint, thinner, paint
brushes/rollers, paint chipping tools, cleaning solvents, kitchen
utensils/cookware and power cords.
- Required to participate in any training, scheduled by
- Knot tying, line/wire splicing, make up and handle heaving
lines and messengers.
- Make up and throw heaving lines.
- Perform lubrication services as directed by the Engineer.
- Properly tie off barge tows.
- Give proper direction and distance signals and
- Use of radio for communications.
- Steer the tug under supervision and as directed.
- Fuel tug as directed.
- Load supplies.
- General cleaning duties including trash, clean heads and galley
- Remove all garbage and clean all decks at decrew.
- Paint inside and outside of tug on an on-going basis.
- General cooking and galley duties as may be required.
- Carry out essential job responsibilities and duties listed
above with a minimum of direction.
- Must be enrolled with an accredited school and working on
obtaining Merchant Mariner Credential.
- Valid state drivers license.
- Valid TWIC
- Must be able to comprehend and respond and carry out specific
orders from the Captain or Mate.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Captain, Mate,
co-workers, and Dispatchers in English.
- Ability to learn and make application of safety awareness,
injury prevention, and firefighting.
- Ability to get along with crew members in confined quarters for
prolonged periods of time.
- Must be able to understand and use information contained in
cargo information cards and material safety data sheets.
- Must be able to read, speak, and understand English over
telephone and/or radio.
- Previous maritime work experience helpful but not
- Exposure to all weather conditions (rain, ice, snow, heat,
wind, heavy seas, etc.)
- Must not be afraid of heights.
- Must be able to perform the functions set forth in the attached
job analysis which includes the ability to pull heavy lines/hoses,
lift, carry heavy items, kneel while painting, climb onto barges
(using pigeon holes in side of barge) and up and down ladders, and
bending and twisting during boat/barge tie up.
- Remain aboard vessel for required Cadet time period as
designated by Company and School.
- Ability to adapt to a variety of schedules and hours.
- Able to work weekends, holidays, and at night. Willing to take
call outs.Centerline Logistics currently has companies operating
across three US coasts in every major Jones Act marketplace
providing world-class safe and efficient transportation. In an
industry where the unexpected can arise at every turn, Centerline
is committed to leading the charge by continually providing
exceptional customer service, lowering its environmental impact and
deepening its stewardship in the communities it serves.Centerline
Logistics offers competitive benefit and compensation packages. We
are an Equal Employment Opportunity and Drug Free Work place.
Pre-employment drug testing is required.ID: 2021-1783 FLSA Status:
Non-Exempt External Company Name: Centerline Logistics Corporation
External Company URL: www.centerlinelogistics.com Street: 85-A East
Keywords: Harley Marine Services, Bayonne , Cadet - East Coast, Other , Bayonne, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!